Commercial Real Estate
Businesses of all sizes engage in dozens of transactions and relationships that demand the review of a legal professional. One of those transactions that should always be overseen by a legal professional is that of a commercial real estate deal.
At the BHM Law Group, our experienced lawyers provide commercial real estate representation to businesses like yours throughout Birmingham and the surrounding areas. Whether you’re looking to sell or acquire property, develop property, lease property, or are involved in a commercial real estate dispute or other legal matter, our experienced lawyers can help. For a consultation with our legal professionals about your legal options, please reach out to us today by phone or online at your convenience.
Our Commercial Real Estate Practice Areas
Our commercial real estate attorneys in Birmingham are available to represent your business as it navigates a wide array of complex commercial real estate issues. Some of our commercial real estate practice areas include, but are not limited to:
- Property disputes. Property disputes may arise between the owner of a property and the owner of a nearby or adjacent property—for example, there may be disputes about how the property is zoned, where the property starts and ends, who the precise owner of the property is, etc.—or it may occur between the owner of the property and a developer, a municipality or agency, or a co-owner. Regarding the latter, there may be disputes amongst owners regarding how to develop the property, whether the property should be sold, etc. Our lawyers can provide representation to you throughout the process and advise you of all options available to you.
- Landlord-tenant disputes. Landlord-tenant disputes are extremely common in commercial real estate law. At BHM Law Group, we represent both landlords and tenants involved in commercial real estate legal matters. These disputes may arise out of land use/property use rights of the tenant, failure to pay rent, civil liability following an injury or other damages, failure to remedy a property defect, and more. We’ll work with you to get to the heart of the legal matter and make sure your case is sound.
- Commercial and industrial leases. In commercial leasing, the law presumes that both the landlord and the tenant understand the legal agreement that they are entering into by signing the lease. As such, unlike residential real estate transactions, it’s less common for a court to invalidate certain provisions of a lease as being unreasonable. It is extremely important that all parties carefully read the details of a commercial lease and that the lease is reviewed by an attorney; it is not uncommon for leases to contain provisions related to landlord indemnification, operating expenses owed to the landlord, the ability to relocate the tenant to another space, and more, as well as a lack of language that protects tenants’ rights to terminate the contract in certain cases. Going through a commercial or industrial lease with a fine-tooth comb to ensure that your interests are protected and that you’re not about to enter into a contract that could have negative repercussions is our job.
- Acquisition and development of commercial properties. We work with commercial and industrial businesses that are involved in the acquisition and development of commercial properties in the Birmingham area. We will be by your side from start to finish, working with you to achieve your goals and business objectives related to:
- Developer partnerships. Developing a commercial space won’t be something that you can do on your own; more likely, you’ll enter into at least one relationship with another developer, or, at the very least, a series of contractors who will be responsible for labor. Each of these relationships will demand the formation of a legal contract, which we can draft and review with you before you sign.
- Construction and development require permitting in advance of any activity. We can work with your team to obtain the appropriate permits. We can also advise you of your rights if a permit is denied or, if after a permit has been received and the building has been completed, you fail any inspections.
- As mentioned above, we provide comprehensive representation for companies entering into commercial leases. We’ll thoroughly review a lease with you and make sure that you understand all provisions of that lease before signing.
- Land use. Land use and zoning laws guide the development and use of private real estate, including commercial real estate. Such laws may limit your company’s ability to develop land in accordance with its exact vision. Our team will thoroughly review all land use and zoning laws associated with a specific site and help you to understand how you can develop within the parameters of the law.
- Real estate contracts. As you acquire or sell commercial real estate, a real estate contract/purchase agreement will be necessary. Like commercial real estate leases, we will thoroughly review a purchase agreement and make recommendations about provisions that should be amended to satisfy your best interests and protect your financial wellbeing.
- Commercial real estate disputes. Commercial real estate disputes may arise between commercial business partners or commercial property co-owners, businesses and contractors, businesses and other developers or pirates involved in the commercial real estate development process, businesses and municipalities (zoning boards, for example), and more. When a commercial real estate dispute arises, we can provide you with legal representation and an overview of your rights and options under the law. We will also guide you through alternative dispute resolutions methods and work hard to quickly—yet effectively—resolve the dispute.
- Commercial real estate litigation. Finally, while resolving commercial real estate disputes out of court is almost always the most advisable course of action, we can provide commercial real estate litigation representation when your business needs it most. Our lawyers have trial experience.
Call Our Birmingham Commercial Real Estate Lawyers Today
At the office of the BHM Law Group, our commercial real estate lawyers understand what’s on the line for your business. For your initial consultation with our team where you can learn more about your rights and legal options, as well as our services and why we’re the best choice for representation, call us directly today at 205-994-0902 or use the intake form on our website to send us a message at your convenience.
BHM Law Group was founded in order to provide individuals, companies, and public sector entities with excellent legal representation centered around the client.
The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. No representation is made that the quality of the legal services to be performed is greater than the quality of legal services performed by other lawyers.