Public Sector Law in Birmingham, AL
At BHM Law Group, our experienced Birmingham public sector law attorneys provide comprehensive legal representation for public sector entities in relation to a wide array of legal matters. As your organization or entity navigates these issues, our team will be by your side to provide sound legal advice and representation every step of the way. To learn more about our law firm and our public sector law practice areas and the experience that we can bring to your legal matter, reach out to us today by phone or online at your convenience.
What Is Public Sector Law?
The public sector refers to the part of the economy that is under the purview of the government. For example, any goods or services that are produced or/and redistributed by government agencies—such as unemployment insurance, the police, public transit, and public education, etc.—are part of the public sector. Public sector law, then, is the area of law that applies to legal issues within the public sector and public entities. In some cases, public sector law and private sector law overlap or intertwine, as public sector entities may partner with private sector businesses. We provide representation for public sector entities involved in a wide range of legal matters.
Who We Work With
Whether you are part of a public sector entity, a corporate business, or are an individual public sector employee or another party in a relationship with a public sector entity, we can help. Reach out to us today to learn more about the specific legal services we can provide for you based on your unique legal situation and position.
- Public sector entities. We have experience providing legal representation to public sector entities. This includes entities providing emergency services, educational services, public transit, public housing and housing assistance, public disability services, public health services, state government departments, and more. Like all business types, public sector entities face a multitude of legal issues, ranging from employee management to property acquisition and development to contracts with other parties and much, much more.
- Corporate entities. Corporate businesses are often involved in operations with public entities. For example, a public entity may contract with a corporate company for the development of a property, for supplies and goods, for the purpose of delivering a public service, and more. In addition to providing legal representation for public sector entities involved in these relationships and contractual agreements, we can also provide legal representation on the corporate side of things. If your company is entering into a contract with a public sector entity, our lawyers can draft or review that contract and provide you with sound legal advice.
- We provide representation to municipal governments. We can offer general counsel and advice on a wide array of legal matters or provide legal assistance for a specific issue. As a legal resource for municipalities, we have provided representation regarding eminent domain and property acquisition, general counsel, land use agreements, disputes and litigation, special district issues, and more.
- Government boards. Government boards, including advisory boards, policymaking boards, and regulatory boards may come up against tough legal issues that require the representation of a skilled public sector law attorney. Common legal issues impacting government boards include compliance issues, correct adoption of rules and procedures, conflict of interest issues, good faith disputes, and more. This list is not inclusive.
- Public corporations. Our law firm can provide legal representation to public corporations and public purpose corporations. Public corporations refer to those corporations that are separate and distinct from their owners; a public purpose corporation, on the other hand, is one that has been formed by the state in order to fulfill a government need and function. For example, public purpose corporations can include senior centers and libraries, both of which may have numerous legal needs related to property development and acquisition, operations, civil liability issues, disputes, and more.
- We can provide representation to individuals who are involved in a dispute or legal matter with a public entity. This includes providing representation to those who have a civil claim against a public entity, such as a discrimination claim or personal injury claim. We represent both public sector employees and other individuals.
Services Provided by Our Public Sector Law Firm
We provide a wide range of services to the various parties involved in the public sector. Please reach out to us directly for help with any of the following, as well as other public sector legal matters. We are happy to review your case and provide you with a recommendation—if we are unable to help you, we can refer you to someone who can.
- Contract administration and interpretation
- Staff hiring and evaluation
- State and federal court litigation
- Sexual harassment investigations and litigation
- Disciplinary proceedings
- Employment discrimination claims
- Layoffs, promotions, reassignments, transfers
- Grievance proceedings and arbitration
- Collective bargaining representation
- Mediation and arbitration
Why Work with an Experienced Public Sector Law Firm?
Public sector legal matters are inherently complex and often involve numerous players both within and outside of the public sector. These matters can be costly when not appropriately handled, resulting in lost resources, financial penalties, and damaged reputations to involved parties.
By working with a skilled public sector law firm, your public sector entity can mitigate legal problems and disputes early on, as well as employ creative strategies when disputes do occur. Working with an attorney is incredibly important and is a key element of protecting your best interests and ensuring that all transactions and operations are done in accordance with the law and best practices.
Choose BHM Law Group Today
At BHM Law Group, our Birmingham public sector lawyers are passionate about what we do. To learn more about our legal services and how we can assist when you are facing a legal issue or need internal legal advice, please send us a message online or call our law firm directly at 205-994-0902. We are here to serve you.
BHM Law Group was founded in order to provide individuals, companies, and public sector entities with excellent legal representation centered around the client.
The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. No representation is made that the quality of the legal services to be performed is greater than the quality of legal services performed by other lawyers.